Travel Advice by Country - Travel Aware
Travelling to a new country is exciting, but it can be daunting. Therefore, accessing appropriate travel advice about the country you will be visiting is important. Even the most seasoned travellers should seek advice, as every country is different.
Get to know the country you will be visiting before you travel and you will feel more prepared when you arrive. Exploring different countries in depth can also help you decide where to go.
Useful advice can be found on the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office website, where an easy to navigate, alphabetical list of countries is regularly updated with relevant advice.
It is wise to get travel advice about a country even if you have already been there, as political or environmental situations can change, sometimes overnight.
Some of the advice might seem overwhelming, but remember, it is designed to prepare you, not scare you.
Here are a few things that are useful to know about a country before you set off:
- Areas of a country that should be avoided
- Areas of a country where only essential travel is advised
- Crime rates and how to protect yourself against crime
- Terrorist threats and where they might occur
- The current political situation of a country
- Weather conditions or natural disasters such as earthquakes and avalanches
- Motor advice including road laws and car insurance
- Public transport and how the facilities differ from those in Britain
- Local laws, religions and customs and how to abide by them
- Acquiring appropriate travel insurance to suit your travel destinations - goodtogoinsurance.com can cover travellers of any age, even those with pre existing medical conditions
- Entry requirements including visas and passport validity - some countries need your passport to be valid for 6 months when you arrive
- Health risks including malaria, rabies and the prevalence of swine flu or bird flu
- Which travel vaccinations, if any, you require
- Money matters such as the use of travellers'' cheques, credit cards and where to obtain local currency
- What might affect travellers who hold a British passport
The FCDO website contains very accurate information about these matters. After you've done your research, you can make an informed decision about where to go on holiday.