Travelling with a Heart Condition
Holidays are all about taking time out to relax. If you suffer from a heart condition there's no reason why you can't travel - just bear in mind that certain holidays might be more suitable than others and take the necessary precautions when you travel.
Here are a few things you should bear in mind if you are travelling with a heart condition:
- Buy comprehensive travel insurance - goodtogoinsurance.com can cover you if you suffer from a heart condition. Make sure you declare your illness when you book
- If you have recently had a heart attack or you've had surgery on your heart, consult your doctor before flying
- Book accommodation that offers easy access - avoid hotels that are up steep hills or steps
- Avoid very hot, very cold or high altitude destinations as this could put strain on your heart
- Stick to a healthy diet while you are abroad. Here are some tips on what you can tuck into at popular holiday destinations:
- Italy - Enjoy vegetable, seafood or chicken pizza toppings but avoid fatty meats
- Greece - Eat humus or tzatziki with vegetables and chicken or fish souvalakia. Avoid taramasalata and moussaka as they are high in fat
- Spain and Portugal - Gaspacho soup, seafood and paella are all healthy options, but avoid chorizo as it-s high in fat and salt
- France - Eat moules marinere, steak and French onion soup. Avoid creamy soups and sauces and rich pastries that are high in saturated fats
- Morocco - Tagines, couscous, grilled aubergine and dried fruit are all healthy options. Steer clear of pastries and pies and watch out for mint tea that's been loaded with sugar
- Mexico - Eat chicken, fish or vegetable fajitas but avoid quesadillas and enchiladas as they can contain a lot of cheese. Guacamole and refried beans are high in fat so enjoy them in small quantities
Travelling with a heart condition can present a few hurdles, but if you take care at meal times, and plan early to avoid stress, then you will have a fantastic time abroad.